Sunday, December 23, 2007

Chantix: Days 6 & 7 (Dec.22 & 23)

This is a combined post because I've been out of town. Well, quit day is tommorow, so when I wake up I'm going to be a non-smoker. I'm excited, but still worried that I can't do this. But I know I can do this, and I will do this, it's just scary. Up until yesterday and today I've been thinking about it, but the day has come up faster than I was prepared for. But it will be okay. I'll be okay. Right? Right. I can do this ...

I learned a few things about the Chantix this weekend. First, I must be careful of my alcohol intake. I was visiting friends and went out dancing. I had one drink and was very noticably buzzed. This disturbed me a bit -- while I enjoy a few drinks and a slight buzz, I do not enjoy being very buzzed / drunk. I think it's the loss of control. I don't know, but what I do know is I didn't drink anymore that night.

The other thing I learned is that I think this Chantix thing is going to work out. There was a major ice storm yesterday in the city I was visiting on Saturday. The conditions outside were terrible and I had no place to smoke inside (I don't smoke in my car, or in my house, for the kids' sake). I attempted to get a few drags here or there, but I didn't really need it. I went 5 hours with only a few drags. During that time I felt like I wanted a cigarrette out of habit, but I didn't NEED one.

Driving back today the roads were terrible. It's a 3.5 hour drive from the place I was visiting to where I live in St. Louis. Usually, when I'm battling a slow, dangerous, stressful drive, I pull the car over somewhat often to smoke and reduce the stress, and keep myself calm and collected. It's usually one of the few times where I really feel like I NEED a cigarrette -- otherwise I'll drive for a couple hours before pulling over to smoke. Today, however, I didn't need one at all. I was calm and collected and didn't feel the need for the smoke to help me better handle the drive.

So all of this has made me feel like Chantix is really going to work. Unfortunantly, at the moment, I think I'm panicking, because I have this constant desire for a cigarrette, like I have already quit smoking and know I can't have one. Again, I think this is just panic from the realization that in a few hours I will have my last cigarrette.

Finally, in preparation for tomorrow, my smelly winter coat and gloves are in the washing machine. I will start the day with a clean, smoke free coat and gloves. All the more reason NOT to smelly them up again.

Whew! Tomorrow! Trepidation, excitment ... Wish me luck, and chances are you'll hear from me a couple times tomorrow ;-)

3 comments:

maggie said...

Glad to hear you are gearing up! Clean smelling laundry and coats and whatnot that don't get all smoky are some of my favorite things, even now.

Some people have noticed alcohol mixed with Chantix can be strange. I'd keep paying attention to it and stick with minimal if you are concerned. In fact, I still rarely drink because I always want to smoke when I do, but others seem to do fine.

I'm cheering for you!!

Mz Diva said...

Brandy,
Let us know how your first day without cigarettes goes! I am rooting for you! Gettting the smell of stuff helps. My car still needs so help in that department. I don't drink so I never knew what it was like to drink while taking Chantix.
Peace,
Diva

lynda w said...

I've found that I have no desire to drink at all. I don't want to smoke, and smoking goes hand in hand with drinking for me, so I just don't care to drink right now.

I too noticed the same thing as you with the Chantix. I didn't really want one, just the routine that came with it. The first whole week I kept part of a straw in my pocket and would go outside and stand there sucking on my straw. It really helped me get through that first week.

You are going to do great! Stay busy and try not to let yourself get stressed. And take a nice clean whiff of yourself through out the day and smile.